Wednesday, November 2, 2011

{30 Days of Intentional Acts of Kindness} Operation Christmas Child

I hate to say it, but this is the first year I've filled an Operation Christmas Child box.  Even more so, if it wasn't for joining the 30 Days of Intentional Acts of Kindness campaign I probably wouldn't have gotten around to doing it.  It's not that I don't want to be generous, it's more the hassle of it all.   However, thanks to the conviction of scripture I decided I too could be a "cheerful giver", not only in releasing my money, but also managing my time!

The girls and I started our Operation Christmas Child mission by reviewing our theme verse for the next few days, "God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7).  Then we had a brief discussion on why we should support OCC (we may have even thrown a letter C lesson in the mix).  Before we knew it, it was time to set off to the store to spend $6 each from their piggy banks.

Upon arriving at The Dollar Tree our baskets quickly began to fill up with far more than six items.  After a brief evaluation of what was a good fit and what was a not so wise purchase I decided to donate $1 each to the cause, that way some little girl somewhere in the world can have a pretty-pink jump rope!.

When we got home the cheerful spirit continued as Brie,
and Briar
filled their boxes to the drim.  Brie had the bright idea of adding some unused Play-Doh and Briar found some cool Jesus Loves Me bracelets to share!
Guess the "hassle" was worth the opportunity to shepherd my sweetie's hearts to be generous girls.  Of course we still need some work, they weren't so willing to give up a Target gift card for another kind act of generosity later this week.  That blasted sin nature, if only it didn't rear it's uggly head.  It's a good thing we have lots of people praying for the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment