Monday, December 7, 2009

Mother's Guilt


For Christmas this year Brie has asked for three things: a Barbie bike, a Barbie Three Musketeer carriage and a Barbie Jam With Me Guitar. The Grandma's have successfully covered two of the three gifts, which leaves me with getting Brie the guitar. And this is where my guilt begins...
Robert wasn't excited about the $30 price tag the Barbie guitar came with, so he convinced me to buy a purple knock off guitar at Ross, remove the sticker's with Goo-Gone and then decorate it with our own Barbie stickers. An extreme project that saved him $23. However, I don't think Brie is going to buy it.

Every time we walk down the toy aisle Brie points out the BJWM Guitar and says, "maybe for Christmas I get this". Every time she browses the Target catalog she points out the BJWM Guitar. And when introduced to the knock off guitar at Ross, she said, "no, no, no, I like Barbie guitar." I'm really starting to feel she's going to be very disappointed come Christmas morning.

So when the Target sales ad came advertising the BJWM Guitar for $23 and knowing I have an additional $5 off coupon I began debating whether I should cut my losses and get Brie the toy her heart desires or teach my child one doesn't always get exactly what they want.

What would you do?

p.s. Let me add Robert prefers the later, but said I can do what I wish with the Christmas money.

3 comments:

  1. If it was me, I would get the item that my daughter wanted. My mom was brought up with ONLY the off brand of items... especially her barbie. My mom distinctly remembers asking for the real barbie and grandma bought the cheapy brand, because that's what Grandma did with everything. She didn't see the value in getting the one that her daughter wanted and asked for. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for saving a few dollars and pulling one over on my kids, especially when it's something they won't notice. But it seems like she has her heart set on this exact one... so I wouldn't risk the disappointment (especially if the disappointment in her eyes will crush you!).

    That's my two cents!! Let us know what you decide!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get the guitar! Rob needs to give in on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would get the guitar, but I spoil my kids. Actually, it might be better to have NO guitar than the wrong one. And Briar could have the other one, maybe? It depends--is Christmas for teaching lessons of thankfulness for whatever you get or for joy at other's joy? I am not saying one of those answers is right. But, it is something to think about.

    ReplyDelete